Hemp Farm New Zealand
Send Us a Message
No, hemp is not easy to harvest. In fact, many very special considerations should be taken into account before sowing your crop.
- Hemp seed is bird’s favourite food, they have more chicks and live longer when adding hemp seed to their diet, they will take a crop of seed in just a few days if you are not ready to harvest in time. Next year they come back earlier bring their friends and want more. We have trialled bird scarers of all types including boomers, screamers, hawk kites, people mixing with crop and more. None of these scare the birds as they are so intently driven to consume your crop. Bird netting should be considered.
- Harvesting hemp stalk is not for the faint hearted, the bast fibre of hemp is the strongest natural fibre known to man. There are no harvesters in New Zealand and few globally that handle hemp stalks at harvest without damage to equipment through fibre wrapping.
- Hemp Farm New Zealand Limited has the world’s most advanced hemp stalk processing equipment the Clarke D8 decorticator and we are designing harvester methods to remove stalk from the field straight for presentation to decortication machinery.
- There are practically no places in the North Island and few in the South Island that can dry and dress hemp seed. Hemp harvest is at the same time as many other crops including maize. Seed must be dried to 8-9% moisture before storage.
- Hemp seed is also the favourite seed of mice and mites so storage is critical.
Yes, hemp is very easy to grow in the right conditions. It likes free draining soils not clay or wet feet through pooling of water. It likes lots of nitrogen prosperous and other nutrients. It does not require pesticides or herbicides.
Seed varieties is selected growing hemp for seed. It is a shorter cultivar and a combine harvester can be modified and used at harvest time.
A dual drop is tall around 3.5 to 4 meters it has seed and fibre. Stalks of the dual crop offer better return on investment due to the amount of product per hectare produced. Hemp stalks must be processed in a way to separate the fibre from the inner wood, known as shiv or hurd.
Please refer to the Hemp regulations for details and licensing application:
We understand that some customers are concerned about consuming gelatin capsules, and as such it is something that we are always looking for a solution to. Our current gelatin capsules are organic and encapsulated in a certified organic facility. However, our bottled oil and protein products are vegan.
The Promise skin care range is guaranteed to be hand-made with only organic ingredients, most of which are certified. The overall products themselves have not been independently certified. You can rest assured that we only source the highest quality ingredients for our skin care range.
Our hemp seed oil skincare is hand blended from mostly certified organic high quality natural essential oils, free from any preservatives. We have an expiry day of up to one year unopened. Once open it is recommended to use the product within six months ideally. However even though the fragrance may change slightly the products remain safe for use for much longer. The shelf life can be extended by storing your products in the fridge.